Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Celebrating Mother's Day

Mother's Day is this coming Sunday, which makes it a somewhat sad day for me since my mother has been gone for nearly 9 years, may God rest her soul. But, it reminded me last night of all the wonderful foods she used to make when she was alive, and it brought back a flood of memories of some of her favorite recipes. Although, it also occurred to me that I don't have any of them written down. I have one or two, but I can think of at least a dozen things she made that I just absolutely loved. For example, she always made the best meatloaf. And while there are probably thousands of recipes out there on the Internet for meatloaf, none of them, are, well, moms. So, here was my mother's meatloaf recipe, (thanks to my sister for sending it), simple, yet delicious. 1 pound hamburger, 2 eggs, about 1 cup of catsup, crumbled crackers. Get everything in a bowl, hamburger, eggs, and catsup, mixing together. Add crumbled crackers, salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. During the last 20 minutes put more catsup on top.

Some of the other favorite things mom used to make include macaroni and cheese, Bisquick custard pie, cream puffs, scalloped potatoes, potato soup, fudge, breakfast meat, any cake, need I say more. Ah, the good ol' days.

No comments: